Threading on Fedora Core

Hello, all -

I'm sorry that my question here is so broad, depending on many, many factors and variables. However, I'm kindof out of options here.

We're developing a piece of software in-house that utilizes threading. This software also implements SSL via OpenSSL for end-to-end TLSv1 security. The encryption itself works well, but the threading does not. Every client that connects to this application, the time to process goes up by about one second.

I've managed to re-compile the openssl-0.9.7a-35 source RPM making it explicitly compile in threaded support, un-installed the existing RPM, and re-installed my custom RPM, but when running the test code listed in OpenSSL's threads(3) man page to test for threads, we've seen that threads are somehow disabled - even after rebuilding this RPM. I'm almost totally lost here, as I am not a programmer.

I guess what I'm asking here is if anyone knows of any other issues that Fedora Core has had with threading applications, or if these symptoms are just the result of shotty coding on our side? Has anyone ever ran into any errors with threading on Fedora Core, specifically threading with OpenSSL support?

Thanks again for your time. Any kind of help at all would be great.
-dant