Re: Scripting question, [small programming question

On Monday, May 23rd 2005 at 14:15 -0400, quoth grumman Fan:

=>On 5/23/05, Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
=>> On Monday, May 23rd 2005 at 13:02 -0400, quoth grumman Fan:
=>> =>So "scripting" is the same thing as "programming"?
=>> =>
=>> =>"I scripted a new Linux kernel today."
=>> =>
=>> =>Ha. snort.
=>>
=>> If it makes you feel better, don't think in term of "scripting language".
=>> Think instead in terms of Very High Level Language. Things like perl or
=>> ruby or python or tcl qualify. They are intended to be scripting languages
=>> that are reasonable (or better) choices for use as system implementation
=>> languages.
=>
=>Let me see if I understand this correctly:
=>
=>You are positting that perl, ruby and tcl are "system implementation
=>languages"?
=>Is that correct?

I am not positting, but I am positing. Correct. I can't tell if you're
being sarcastic or if you are really inquisitive. On the assumption that
you are being sarcastic (based also on your previous nasal difficulties),
let's look at what a system implementation language requires. Is there any
system call that is not accessible from perl/ruby/tcl/python? No. Is there
any OO programming construct that is not available from these languages?
No. The only difference is really the method of execution: Do we only
execute ECOFF or do we allow interpreted or PCODE? Bash scripting does not
qualify as a system implementation language because there are a ton of
things that you can not do. I'm just wondering if, at the heart of this,
there is some sort of discrimination against non-ecoff people. ;-)

steveo at syslang.net