Re: Scripting question, [small programming question

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:33:18AM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 08:33 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > This isn't a programming question.  Its a scripting question.
> >

> Jeff
>
> This is definitely a scripting question.  However, to correct your
> terminology, scripting *_is_* programming.

Good, then the terms are completely interchangeable:

Can you write a Fortran script? Or an assembly language script?
How about a C++ script?

> Shell scripting is programming in an interpreted language, as is perl,
> python, and and many other languages.

> The complexity of the task (or lack of complexity) does not change what
> the task is ( programming ).

Jeff V., I understand your argument, but.. I'm sorry - complexity does
absolutely enter into it most of the time. As well as the end production
target and the objects being manipulated, and even the tools and
languages being used.

This is similar to the question of whether a rectangle is a square or
not. The answer is : "sometimes. It depends on the specific rectangle."

Writing even a trivial C program is always "programming", writing a
Bash script is scripting, but a Perl program can be either, as well as
python.