Re: Scripting question, [small programming question

On Mon May 23 2005 8:33 am, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:43:53AM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Could someone help. I have chosen a bad naming convention for a long
> > list, and I need to make a small alteration. The list looks like the
> > following 001-Fig 1-1.jpg
> > 013-Fig 4-4a.jpg
> > 024-Fig 5-6.jpg
> > 035-Fig 5-17.jpg
> > etc...
> > I would like to add a 0 to each group of three numbers at the beginning
> > of each name so that 001-Fig 1-1.jpg becomes 0010-Fig 1--1.jpg for
> > example. Could someone help me with the quick way to do this?
>
> Hi Claude.
> I see you've received some solutions on this so I won't add to them, but
> I do want to correct your terminology.
>
> This isn't a programming question.  Its a scripting question.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Jeff, I have to further correct your
correction. Instead of 'small scripting question' it should have been
'scripting question' - by all of the responses I got, this certainly turned
out to be more complicated than I'd thought. Nothing small about it, at least
for me. I never did get Oliver's suggestion to work. I tried Bob Chiodini's
next and it worked on the first try. I'm just getting started on a book on
Bash which is what lead me to ask the question but it didn't even occur to me
that the answer would involve perl or some of the other suggestions

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA