OT web session question

All;

We have need to create a web site with a public area andan area only for users
with a login/passwd.

I want to also manage the logged in pages with respect to basic security such
as a timeout feature that forces a re-login and dis-allowing non-logged in
users from visiting a specific url in the users area without first logging
in.

I want to keep it real simple and I don't want to write a boatload of cgi code
that checks credentials every single time a link within the users area is
clicked if possible.

Also, it's preferrable to use cgi but I'm open to something else if the ease
of development/implementation is worth it.

Any thoughts ?