Re: Upgrade process from FC3 to FC4? DISASTER??

On 2005-05-18 19:27:46 Brian Mury wrote:

> > http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/departments/ask_shadowman/
>
> ... which says the following: "the upgrade to GCC 4 will break any apps
> you may have compiled for yourself against GCC 3.x".
>
> So anything I've built from source (as opposed to installing from RPM)
> will have to be rebuilt, correct? That'll be a pain...

have i missed something here?

until now, i've upgraded from one release to the next with only minor problems.

BUT this seems to be a MAJOR issue, if i'm understanding this properly.

i read that statement as well, and have written to dag to ask about his take
on it.  but haven't gotten any response, yet.

my understanding of this is not just that anything you've built from scratch,
but anything compiled that doesn't get updated/replaced when you install the
FC4 distro is broken.

now, if this is an accurate interpretation, this means that all packages you
have installed from any other repo are broken.

does this mean that, say, snort, when it tries to start up on an upgraded
system will crash?  what about apcupsd?  firestarter?  nessus? nagios?  myth?

how many packages do i have that aren't going to be replaced in the FC4 distro
when it comes out?  i'll betcha there are TONS of them!

if this is accurate, then FC4 is likely to be a major pain and perhaps a major
disaster for all of us who run ANYthing that isn't part of the official
distribution!

i sure wish someone who KNOWS what's going on would do some explanation for
the rest of us, so we can at least plan on time for a major issue.

or, even better, explain why this won't happen.  :-)

john, the very worried.