Xorg error 104 translation

I did a little research on Xorg error 104 and a little more experimentation on this computer system and have come to the conclusion that error 104 properly translates to something like: "your hardware won't work with our interface and we have no clue why it won't work either". The research on bugzilla suggested it had something to do with a mouse being plugged into the computer. Okay no problem I'm totally blind but don't have a problem with walking so I remove the mouse from the computer. The error still happens whether the mouse is plugged into the computer or not. Also, the setup program for x configuration runs into that same error. Now here's where this whole situation gets real curious. This is not preventing me from typing telinit 5 at the command prompt and when I do that I get to the short beep and manage to log into X and then gnopernicus comes up talking. Unfortunately root is all that can run telinit 5 so I have ethernet cable disconnected if I go into X that way. I do know the minimum memory requirement for X is 192M and I have only 128M on this very old and out of warranty Dell now. In the interests of furthering Science next week I will get a memory upgrade on this machine and try all of this again. If the situation goes away, a better message for error 104 is insufficient memory. It will be the end of next week when I next write on this list about this topic because by then I'll have a little more information. By the way, the mouse I had plugged in was a microsoft intellimouse.