Re: FC 2/3 Backup

Tim Holmes wrote:

Craig White wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 12:22 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 10:54, Tim Holmes wrote:

Charles -- I am more than willing to try anything at this point,
however, I am new to linux, and so I will need a little guidance

getting

through the process that you described (having cron tarbal the

files

and

move them) -- it sounds like a valid plan, I am just gonna need

some

help getting it done.

As far as Amanda -- I have seen it when doing installs, but I

know

nothing about it, is it a backup server or a remote client, any

other

info would be appreciated

Amanda generally wants to write directly to a tape drive on the

machine

running the server. If you are interested in an on-line disk

based

solution, look at backuppc: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

----
Amanada has both a client and server application. Thus on the

computer

that has the tape drive, it would need both. Any other system

would

only

need the client. Apparently there is a version in CVS that backs

up

filesystem and judging by my experience with Amanda, they are

likely

do a very good job at that. I don't believe that the version

distributed

with Fedora 3 will do that though.

Craig

I'm running amanda 2.4.4p2 on FC2 and it backs up to disk just fine.

It's

backing up RH9, FC1 and FC2 clients. It supports virtual tapes on

disk,

but
requires a fair amount of manual configuration for the "tape

changer".

It's a hairy-scary backup solution if you are used to a "real"

backup

system, though. It has it's idiosyncracies, but once you get it

setup

you

can leave it to get on with it. I've not touched the setup in the

past

6

months, it just silently backs-up the clients every night to a 250GB

USB

drive. I wouldn't want to have to re-build a system from bare-metal

using

an
Amanda backup though.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

[Tim Holmes wrote]

Ok Folks

I am making what I think is progress here.

I have examined the logs for the remote agent (called RALUS) and found
out that one of the problems it was hitting was some missing packages,
which I have dug about and found and installed. The agent now

installs

without any complaints - either on the screen or in the logs.  The
problem now comes when I try to start it.  I issue the command

/etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start

it contemplates for a few seconds and then returns

[FAILED]

there are no error messages or pointers to logs created to help me try
to diagnose the problem.

What should my next step be?

I really want to solve this because its going to prove to be a

valuable

learning tool for future problems, but I am not sure how to proceede

TIM

try (for debug):
sh -x /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start

[Tim Holmes wrote]

Here is the output of the command

I have no clue what it means

[root@SRVFS-01 root]# sh -x /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init start
+ '[' '!' -d /opt/VRTSralus ']'
+ '[' '!' -d /etc/VRTSralus ']'
+ '[' '!' -d /var/VRTSralus ']'
+ CMD=start
+ '[' -x /opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote ']'
+ echo -n 'Starting VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent '
Starting VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent + rm -f
/var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid
+ rm -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid
+ /opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote
+ PIDWAIT=30
+ '[' 30 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=29
+ echo -n .
.+ sleep 1
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid ']'
+ '[' 29 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=28
+ echo -n .
.+ sleep 1
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid ']'
+ '[' 28 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=27
+ echo -n .
.+ sleep 1
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid ']'
+ '[' 27 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=26
+ echo -n .
.+ sleep 1
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid ']'
+ '[' 26 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=25
+ echo -n .
.+ sleep 1
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.errpid ']'
+ PIDWAIT=0
+ '[' 0 '!=' 0 ']'
+ '[' -f /var/VRTSralus/ralus.pid ']'
+ RETVAL=1
+ echo

+ '[' 1 = 0 ']'
+ echo 'Starting VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent:
[FAILED]'
Starting VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent:
[FAILED]
+ exit 1
[root@SRVFS-01 root]#

Hi,
I'm not familiar with veritas, but i think that the problem is when he tries to run

/opt/VRTSralus/bin/beremote
what that script do? is it a script or binary?