Re: Grub not booting Linux

Frank Chen wrote:

I have a dual boot system. When I was using Windows
earlier, I deleted a partition on the hard disk in
preparation for installing another version of Linux.
Big mistake. Now grub couldn't find the root
partition, and it doesn't recognize the root partition
because Fedora 3 uses ext3 file system. I can't use
the kernel command to identify the kernel image. Any
instructions on how to recover from this situation?

Thanks,

Frank

Discover Yahoo! Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html

Hey Frank

You will need to re-install grub. Boot from your install disk-1 or the rescue CD, enter "linux rescue" at the prompt. Then follow the directions on-screen to get to the prompt and enter the chroot command as the screen shows. now do a "grub-install /dev/hda". exit the rescue mode (removing the CD as you do) you should boot into your FC. You may need to take a look at your /etc/fstab to ensure that it was re-configured and that all of your partitions are mountable.

   Scott