Re: how to upgarde to the latest rpms

Ankush Grover wrote:
Hey friends,

 I was trying to upgarde my FC3 through up2date tool.I choose the
option of not installing the rpms so the rpms downloaded in
/var/spool/up2date directory.There are some hdr files in
/var/spool/up2date  what is the use/purpose  of .hdr files.

They are metadata used by up2date to determine dependency information for a package without having to download the entire package.

2) When I try to install some rpms like hal they ask for Fedora Core 3
first Cd1.Why they are asking for the Fedora Core cd .I installed the
Fedora Core3 through http installatio method.

hal probably has a dependency on something on the first CD that you don't currently have installed. How exactly are you trying to install hal? "rpm -Uvh hal*.rpm" should tell you what any failed dependencies are.

3) What is the best way to upgarde the system like kernel .

Always "install" rather than "upgrade" the kernel:

# rpm -ivh kernel-blah.rpm

When you're happy that the new kernel runs OK, you can remove the old kernels:

# rpm -e kernel-old-blah.rpm

4) There is no kernel 2.6.9 in the /usr/src directory do I have to
download the kernel-2.6.9.src.rpm for compiling the kernel.

Correct. As described in the release notes.

Paul.