Re: questions on ssh

Michael B Allen wrote:
> For an X application to run you need to be running an X
> server. Locally. Meaning on the Windows machine. PuTTY is not an X server.

X terminology strikes again...

The X server is *not* where the programs run! It sounds like Ankush
wants his programs to run on a remote Linux box, and display on his
Windows system. In this case, the Windows system will be the X server.
It will run the graphics.

That's assuming that you use X forwarding. You may find it easiest to
use VNC over the PuTTY connection.

Otherwise you'll need X11 software for Windows. The easiest way to do
this is to download and install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com).

If you just want to run individual programs in graphical mode, open a
Cygwin-X xterm (you may need to run startx from the Cygwin bash shell),
use Cygwin ssh to connect to your Linux box, and then run the program in
question. This may be slow if there's any delay on your network
connection. You *may* need to use ssh -Y and/or change settings in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config on the Linux box.

If you want to run the entire desktop, you'll have to enable something
like gdm. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8078 looks like a good
introduction (I haven't gone this far...)

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | +------------- Information -----------------+