alsa-driver-1.0.6 won't make

Anyone having problems with alsa on FC3 should check the version if it's 1.0.6, it's a turkey. I couldn't get that working on FC3 and finally did get alsa working on slackware 10.1 but that was alsa-xxx-1.0.8. You may need to rebuild the kernel with alsa-xxx-1..0.8 to get sound working at all in FC3. Unfortunately I haven't yet managed a successful kernel rebuild in Linux or I'd share the steps with you here and now. I did research on the alsa-project.org web site for my card and I'm not sure what all I read there was completely accurate either. There were extra oss-related modules I loaded once doing a modprobe snd-ens1371 then I ran alsaconf on slackware and all worked correctly. On fedora I selected the sound card then got an error 1119 when it was time for alsaconf to use my sound card. In any case i'm about to reinstall slackware to fix a couple bad choices I made with startx setup and with luck I'll have gnopernicus up and talking shortly after that. At least slackware has a mouth now.