Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:53:25 +0800
John Summerfied <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Ubuntu / Printers vs. Fedora Core]

Plug in a USB printer, I would expect (as on FC) a GUI to pop up. On FC I configure network printers with CUPS - the RH tool does not work satsifactorily. You should see how a RH-configured CUPS printer appears to my Mac:-((

I'd expect USB pritner setup to go smoothly.  For my work setup, though, I
need to set up three print queues: a USB printer, a SMB printer, and a
parallel printer.  It's the SMB printer I'm worried about.  Haven't had
time to take the Ubuntu test machine to that environment yet, though.

It's some years since I set up a Samba, but back then all that was needed was to tell it to import all the LPD printers. I expect that it will be much the same now, but I don't have a need to try it (no more OS/2).

Since none of my machines are print servers, I haven't had a chance to see how the Fedora tool mangles that. :)

Detup of the three print quesues on my laptop with Fedora Core 3 was
pretty easy. The only real difficulty I ran into was with the USB
printer (Samsung ML-1410 if I remember the model number right) The
automatically-generated print queue defaults to the wrong page size, and I didn't see an easy way to change that - except manually set up a
print queue for the Samsung printer.

I set up a FC3 printer on my laptop by plugging an Epson Stylus C65 into it. A gui popped up and I chose C64 (it might even have been offered) and that was that. Just once, the Mac can second. It didn't know about the C65 and wouldn't let me choose another:-(

However, the print definition that Red Hat's tool set up has a comment field - "create by the witch from hell" or similar and that's how OS X presents it in its menu. Not good.

Normally I use the CUPS web interface for defining printers' that's fairly simple (if you have the PPDs) but I find the need to customise it afterwards - why are printers always configured for "letter" paper which hardly anyone uses?

Yesterday, I created a CUPS printer from the commandline. i think these are the relevant commands:

sudo lpadmin -p blueroom -v ipp://ns.demo.lan/printers/blueroom
sudo lpadmin -p blueroom -E

There are more options, and I'm sure the web admin tool is just a wrapper for such commands.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait