Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Claude Jones wrote:
On Wed May 11 2005 3:55 am, John Summerfied wrote:

Claude Jones wrote:

You guys got me curious, so I installed it today
One BIG caveat - it installs with no firewall, and there is no readily

What services were exposed to the world?

there were no firewall rules at all except the default accept all three states - so I assume all was exposed - I didn't spend more than a few hours on it, and it didn't even occur to me to check this till well into the process... It was kind of surprising to find it in that state after being up several hours on the net

If there were no services listenin to your external interface, there was nothing to protect and so no exposure.

This is a matter I raised with them before Warty's release. _I_ think the response was something like if you enable them then you need to configure the firewall.

I also debated the absence of the ssh server by default; I administer almost everything remotely.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait