Re: OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Claude Jones wrote:
On Tue May 10 2005 9:37 am, John Summerfied wrote:

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

Hi Everyone,

There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why?

While I'm using FC3 atm, I'm happy to recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu over FC to newcomers.

It's easy to install, ............snip

Sort of against it are
1. One install CD.
2. Everything else is  download.
3. Only the software  on the install CD is formally supported.

You guys got me curious, so I installed it today
One BIG caveat - it installs with no firewall, and there is no readily available one to configure should you need it, unless I missed it somehow - I did find a reference to the fact that they do this purposefully, but with a pretty cryptic explanation as to why - since the machine I was testing on is right on the net, this was a bit disconcerting...the system GUI to configure basic protection was not there - I tried downloading and installing Firestarter, but couldn't get it going - FWBuilder wasn't available as a regular package - Shorewall was, but, time ran out and I gave up. I did like the way some things worked right out of the installation, such as Samba, but...

Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA

Are you saying there's no iptables? THAT would be very scary.

Surely you can do some raw iptables firewall coding?

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749