Re: Testing hard disk

Billy Tallis wrote:
I recently dug up some old IDE drives that I would like to use for
some relatively short term data storage. Is there any tool I can use
to check if the drive is still in working order?

[summer@echidna ~]$ rpm -qf /usr/sbin/smartctl
kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.49_FC3

Read the docs, you might want the latest source for smart tools; there's a new version each time they add new device support (and some times those new devices added are old ones).

You can't test drives in USB caddies though. Disk enclosures that attach to ATA cables are fine.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait