Re: Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

Charles E Taylor IV writes:

A bigger issue would seem to be 3D support.  What modern laptops have good
out-of-box 3D support without proprietary dirvers, or are there any?  Both
newer ATI and NVIDEA chips require proprietary drivers.  My current
laptop's got an ATI chipset that's old enough to have 3D support in xorg,
but that means it ain't no speed demon. :)

The laptop that I got has a fairly decent 3D support, using a Mach64-compatible chipset. At least I think it does. I'm not really that big into gaming, but all the OpenGL screensavers seem to work just fine. Certainly I don't think I'd get 100fps in Quake, but the graphics hardware seems to be good enough for at least full motion video, and that's enough for me.