no sound : Via onboard 8237.

Hello again,
It looks like this is my lucky day!! I have just installed core three on a new system and during the installation the card was recognised but now when I try to listen to a disk or stream there is nothing. In the alsamixer master and pcm are totally black and I cannot change anything. Once again Via shows what it can do. It is an onboard Via 8237 with cm/9761. Thanks a lot for any ideas. John Brennan-Sardou.