Re: Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 18:43 -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>  If
> you want accelerated opengl on the t42s with the radeon 9600 or firegl2
> you have to forego acpi suspend because it doesn't work with the
> proprietary ati driver... all of the ibm that use intel built-in video
> sleep with minor effort.

Yeah - I use to use the proprietary NVidia driver on my desktop, I've
decided I will no longer use proprietary video drivers for anything -
when they work, they are nice - but too often there are issues they
cause (and not always video) and I've decided its just better to stick
with what is open source.

For my wlan I do use madwifi which is kernel tainting, so far though it
has not caused any issues whatsoever. Since I don't really game all that
much, it's not worth it to me to mess with proprietary drivers.

I'm hoping that someday another company like VooDoo will arise that
really is OSS friendly.