Re: Re : Fedora Dispute

d Red Hat gain by jacking with the Cornell/UVA project?  There is no
competition, they are in different areas of technology.

Thomas

>> Red Hat  is now trying to do the right thing - enforce what they have the authority to go after. The fact that they are in differrent areas of technology makes no differrence legally.    There isn't a legal distinction of, 'oh wait...this is a browser and this is an OS so everything's allright'.  We tech people think that way.  But the judges and looyahs don't see it that way.

See http://www.nissan.com/             >From what I understand, the car company sued someone who had already bought the  URL and  had a company with Nissan in the name.  So basically what this says, is, if a big company wants your domain, it's theirs (got a million dollars to fight it?)...

I would assert that RH is probably just concerned about other corporate dirty tricks.  IOW, if they DIDNT go after this 'situation' (potential infringement or whatever), then the waters of proprietary-vs-OSS, would continue to get muddier and muddier, very intentionally on the part of various companies/partners/cohorts.  I could see such events unfold and it isn't pretty.  Let's hope that the law gets upheld; that would be a great place to start.

Marc