Re: How can I get into the fedora system?

Darren Lee writes:

Hello all,

Jan 2004 I installed windows professional in my C harddrive. Jan 2005
I installed fedora in D harddrive. there were a so called "GRUB"  to
operate these two operating system. recently I installed windows 2003
server in C drive. I guess I have destroied the "GRUB". When i booted
with the D drive(fedora). the system tells "Error loading operating".
I had some important data in the D drive (fedora). So how can I get
into the fedora system and copy these data out.

When you installed Windows 2003, the Windows installer -- as you've surmised -- blew away the bootloader.

You can't just disconnect your primary boot hard drive, then expect to boot off your second hard drive with Fedora on it.

Put both of the hard drives back in. Take the Fedora installation CD or DVD, and boot it up. At the bootprompt, type "linux rescue". The installer should be able to find your existing Fedora partition, and throw you into a shell. As the preceding menu told you, "chroot /mnt/sysimage" will place you in the root directory of your Fedora system. At this point, you should be able to run "/sbin/grub-install" and get GRUB reinstalled, or, if you wish, copy your data to a floppy.

When you're done, you have to remember to unmount everything properly by exiting from your rescue shell, which initiates an orderly unmount and reboot.

/me, who spend six hours yesterday trying to get grub to boot with root+boot on softraid partitions.