Re: Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

David A. Wheeler writes:

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
David A. Wheeler writes:

There are a few people who sell Linux preinstalled, but the ones
I found seem to have a $600+ premium.  I'd pay a $100 premium, but
their premiums seem really steep to me.

Suggestions?

Have you looked at http://www.laclinux.com/en/Laptop?

I hadn't, thanks for pointing them out.

I'd prefer a "named" laptop (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.), though that
may have to fall through the cracks since they obviously
don't want my money.

Take my word for it: tell the name brands to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Any experience with them, or with any other such reseller?

Bought a laptop from them two years ago. Very nice, solid, beast. Everything works. Well, my only complaint is that x.org doesn't have a native driver for the laptop's synaptics touchpad, and the touchpad's default setting is hypersensitive and generates phantom clicks. I found some dude's web site with a working synaptics driver for X, that finally turned that infernal thing off, I now use just an ordinary mouse instead of the touchpad.