Re: Kernel upgrade possible?

Coert W wrote:

Hi Coert,

Thankyou for your reply!
I think I will upgrade my kernel.
If I do, what version would you recommend?
I have installed the kernel sources of my current kernel (i
think its 2.6.9)

You don't need to compile the kernel from source. You can just use yum or up2date to upgrade your kernel to the latest version. At the moment, kernel 2.6.11-14 is the latest one for FC3. If you upgrade to this kernel, remember that you will also have to upgrade your gcc to the latest version, otherwise the vmware-config.pl script will complain that your kernel was compiled with a different version of gcc.

For the nvidia modules, just visit rpm.livna.org, get the nvidia-glx RPM and the kernel-module-nvidia RPM matching your kernel, and install them. After the upgrade, just reboot your system into single-user mode, and run "vmware-config.pl", and after the vmware modules are compiled and installed, reboot into normal multi-user mode.

Will this be a problem?
What happens when I install the rpm containing the SMP kernel?

If you install the SMP kernel on a uniprocessor system, it doesn't matter.

Do I also need the sources?
Will I still be able to boot into the older kernel?

Sure, as long as you do not remove it. In fact, my advice to you is to keep the older kernel, in case installing the newer one does not work for you.