Re: Can't play dvd with totem

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 08:40 -0700, Laszlo Antal wrote:
> Hi,
> I have Fc3 insralled with gnome.
> I installed totem and libdvdcss.
> When I try to play dvd I gat an error saying can't open file, error
> Unknown.
> I remember under debian I had to type in something for the dvd so the
> Movie player does not try to decode it.
>
> Does anybody have any idea??
>
> Thank you for reading
> Laszlo

First - the totem that shipped with fc3 is not capable of playing DVD's
- I don't know if they updated the version in Fedora Updates or not,
last time I checked they had not.

In addition to needing a newer totem, you need some gstreamer plugins.

You can do it in fc3, you need to

a) update the system gstreamer-plugins package
b) install additional plugins
c) install updated totem

See http://mpeters.us/linux/fc3_gstreamer.php

Even though I wrote that page, I don't recommend it at this point in
time - not because it doesn't work, but because it requires updating a
lot of fedora installed stuff - what I recommend for the present is
usine xine or mplayer for DVD's - when fc4 ships, DVD in totem will be a
LOT easier.

I have it working in rawhide without needing to update any packages
provided by fedora, only needing to install the additional plugins, but
to play DVD's through totem in fc3 you have to update the system
gstreamer and the system totem. Since fc4 is due to be released in a
month, I really recommend waiting for that for totem DVD playback.