Re: disk replacement

Oliver Vecernik wrote:
Hi Paul,

Paul Howarth schrieb:

Can you try:
# vgreduce -v VolGroup00 /dev/hdb1

That did the trick. This is the first time I'm working with LVM, but
meanwhile I love it. I moved everything and finally have the following
configuration:

# df -h
Dateisystem          Größe Benut  Verf Ben% Eingehängt auf
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       37G  4,4G   31G  13% /
/dev/hda1              99M   16M   79M  17% /boot
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdb1              99M   16M   79M  17% /mnt/boot.new

# vgdisplay -v
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "VolGroup00"
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               VolGroup00
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  15
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                2
  Open LV               2
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               38,22 GB
  PE Size               32,00 MB
  Total PE              1223
  Alloc PE / Size       1223 / 38,22 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID               Scg1fw-WM5q-eoj5-rcf8-AAAi-sKmV-nrWAYK

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                c3JfzP-cN3w-v49v-nXYN-whIc-b5A2-f7KMzx
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                37,22 GB
  Current LE             1191
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:1

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                K6Tqyu-jO0S-BpPC-8ob7-t7Qd-SOQ1-aK6EUY
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                1,00 GB
  Current LE             32
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:2

  --- Physical volumes ---
  PV Name               /dev/hdb2
  PV UUID               gaBRx9-fZQ4-0u5P-8kv4-2mp8-xiua-K7hNYQ
  PV Status             allocatable
  Total PE / Free PE    1223 / 0

The last thing before I can boot from my drive is to copy the MBR.

# grub-install /dev/hdb
/dev/hdb does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

What does that mean?

What's in your /boot/grub/device.map ?

Perhaps you could try "grub-install --recheck"?

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that although you are installing grub on hdb, when that version of grub is loaded it will be on "hda". So a bit of trickery is needed. This is not something I've done before, but I think it goes like this:

# grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/hdb
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Perhaps a grub expert could confirm that?

Finally one last question: do you think it's a good idea to use this
"old" disk within a RAID 1? It would be a nice exercise for me anyway. :-)

Yes, you could do that. It would be another "tricky" operation though, since neither of your current drives are part of a raid device. Best leave that for another thread I think.

Paul.