Re: Internet radio for FC3?

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 20:30 -0400, Chris Gramer wrote:
> Rather than trying to slog through getting amaroK running, I'll just
> ask:    What package do you all recommend for listening to streaming
> radio on FC3?  And is that package going to have a huge list of
> dependencies to satisfy, like a codec for every type of audio stream I
> want to play, libraries for various fonts and album art display, etc.,
> etc.?  Is there a reason everything has to be so modular in Linux?
> Can't an audio player have everything it needs in its own
> package/archive?

Most internet radio is streamed in mp3
What you want to do is go to http://rpm.livna.org/ and follow the
instructions for adding their repository.

Then run

yum install gstreamer-plugins-mp3

That will install the mp3 gstreamer plugin, which will allow Rhythmbox
(and quite possibly AmoroK) to play these streams.

AmoroK is in Fedora Extras, btw - so you shouldn't need to do anything -
add the Fedora Extras repository to /etc/yum.repos.d/ (you'll have to do
that anyway) and run

yum install amorok

-=-
Modular is better. Due to patents with lots of multimedia codecs, Fedora
can not ship a media player that has all those things built in. A
framework like GStreamer that allows for plugins solves this issue,
install the plugins you need and the Fedora supplied media player
(Rhythmbox, Totem, etc.) will be able to play the format.

Modular also has the advantage that when a bug is fixed, all apps that
use the plugin then benefit from the bug fix without a rebuild being
needed.

If you really want non modular - install the RealPlayerGold linux port.