Re: eth0 won't stay up

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> hanfamily@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I just reinstalled fedora core 3 to solve the dual boot problem. This time
> > I did graphical install so I had a minimal choice so I would have fewer
> > packages to remove instead of a text install. I do not know what I did
> > different but I created a huge problem with eth0 my log is full of the
> > following
> > May  4 10:38:05 jupiter kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, half-duplex, lpa
> > 0x40A1
> > May  4 10:38:06 jupiter kernel: eth0: link down
> > repeated ever fraction of a second. Any ideas what I need to do? I made
> > a copy of ifconfig output, route and alot of files in /etc in case they
> > would be helpful.
>
> You have a problem with autonegotiation of link speed between your
> net card and your switch.  Your best bet is to force both of them to
> 100Mb, full duplex.
>
> You didn't say what kind of net card you have, nor what the switch is.
> If you tell us what the NIC is, we can tell you the options to put
> into /etc/modprobe.conf to force it at the Linux side.  You'll have
> to consult your user manual for the switch for its commands.
>
> In the meantime, try "ethtool eth0 speed 100 duplex full" and see if
> that stops it.
> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -

the log shows it is a RealTek RTL8139 (I can't find anything in the
paperwork just 10/100 T network interface and the machine is 30 min
away so it might be incorrect detection) I just have a hub no switch
so can't do anything on that side. The weird thing is it didn't do
this the first time I installed and xp overworte my grub setup. I'll
go try the ethtool after supper and see if it solves the problem.
                          Thanks
                          Linda