Re: Gnome Panel crash. FC3.

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Nat Gross wrote:

Upon logging in, I get errors relating to gnome-panel, and it gives me the option to close or restart. Either way, the problem cycles again, and the few buttons on the panel do not work. I can't even logout via c-a-d, it just hangs. I have to hit the switch which forces an immediate shutdown. Under Root, I CAN use Gnome, but with my regular login I am forced to use kde in order to work.
This happened after a 'yum -y update'. The kernel was already the latest prior to the recent yum update:2.6.11-1.14. FC3.
How do I fix this? I can ssh into this box at the moment.
Thank you all.
-nat

The following steps provide one way to set a user's home environment back to defaults. In the example below, replace username with the login id of the user you wish to reset the desktop defaults. NOTE: This will replace all of the user settings with defaults, including setting made in things like mozilla, bash and similar programs..

  1. Backup the users home directory.

# mv /home/username /home/username.bak

  2. Add a test user to the system.

# useradd test
  3. Move the user's home directory to the old user's home.

# mv /home/test /home/username

  4. Clean up the test account.

# userdel test

  5. Copy any files the user still needs into the new home directory.

# cp /home/username.bak/somefilename /home/username/

  6. Change the ownership of user's new directory so that the user owns
     all files in their home directory.

# chown -R username.username /home/username

  7. Test this set-up by logging into the graphics as this user.

regards
Rahul

I can't afford to reset all to default. I need a fix for Gnome, that's all.
Thanks.
-nat