Fonts under Java in FC3

Hi people,

I've installed the Sun jre 1.5.0_03. I'm now trying to run one application under this jre. Some of the fonts in this application are very bad, even though I have high quality Microsoft fonts installed. My fonts are installed properly, because my Gnome desktop can see and use them, and they are also visible if I run "xlsfonts". I used Google and discovered that this is a common problem with Sun's java on linux. One recommendation is to create a file called /usr/java/jre1.5.0_03/lib/fontconfig.RedHat.3.properties, and define one's preferred fonts in there. I've attached a copy of my file to this message for reference. I've strace'd the application, and I do see that this file is being opened and read, so I know it's being picked up the jre. However, it has made no difference to the fonts. They're as ugly as ever (chunky, with pixels sticking out everywhere).

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Is there any other way to force a java application to use fonts of one's own choice? I don't have the source code of this java application. It's distributed as a .jar file.