Re: german umlauts with e-mail after installing new system

Alexander,

Alexander Apprich schrieb:
Goetz,

Götz Reinicke wrote:

Hi,

I recently installed a new e-mail-server using taolinux 4 (RHEL4) and got some problems with german umlauts.

That I tested was sending an e-mail from our webmailsystem twig and an other from my thunderbird client.

I got two diffrent results:

sending from twig lets the subject (ö, ä, ü) unchanged, the mailtext is unreadebel.

sending from thunderbird changes the subject to strange symbols, the mail text is fine.

I use sendmail.

Where can I look, for what could be wrong?

try in a teminal

   export LANG=de_DE

then start your mailer and try it again. I had some strange experience
w/ the default de_DE.UTF8 and german umlaute...

If this fixes your problem, you can change the default LANG in

/etc/sysconfig/118n

This didn't solve the problem, I still get a mismatch off umlauts and strange characters... :-(

Regards

Götz

--
Götz Reinicke