Re: allow SFTP FTP but not SSH. Can ??

Am Mo, den 02.05.2005 schrieb M E Fieu um 11:01:

> Hi.. I just create a linux account e.g account1
> After creating this account, people can ftp , ssh and
> sftp in to the server using this account. But is there
> a way to restrict people from SSH using this account
> but still allowing ftp and sftp?? (without doing
> anything on the firewall?

Yes, it is possible. FTP only accounts easily by only giving a shell
like nologin or false to the account. Restricting to SFTP and no SSH is
a bit more difficult as SFTP is part of OpenSSH and activated through
/etc/ssh/sshd_config. If you switch off SSH permissions (through shell)
SFTP is denied too. If with SFTP you do not necessarily mean SFTP but
any encrypted FTP session, then this is possible with an FTP daemon like
vsftpd or proftpd and their TLS capability. A different approach is to
use a tool like

http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

to allow users SFTP but no SSH.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 11:18:23 up 12:46, 19 users, 0.15, 0.17, 0.07