Re: fedora install using floppy

bruce wrote:
hi...

still struggling with this issue..

[snip]

we imagine the floppy should have what ever allows it to do a basic shell/os
install. in other words, we shouldn't initially assume that the current
underlying HD has a valid OS.

Since you have everything set up on an http/ftp server, have you considered a tftp server to provide the boot image...

If the machines can do a network boot from their bios settings, you should be able to avoid floppies altogether.

You can supply the ip address address and file name etc in the dhcp options of your dhcp server.

So, when the pc does a "network boot", one of the first things it will do is broadcast for a dhcp server... your dhcp server then broadcasts an address back, and includes the address/file name of the boot image.

(I've simplified the actual dhcp process for sake of this discussion, but that's it in a nutshell)

Don