Re: How to wipe a HD?

jludwig wrote:
On Wednesday 20 April 2005 08:34 pm, david walcroft wrote:

Vinicius wrote:

Hello,

How to wipe a HD, please?

Atte.,
Vinicius.

Give this a try ,its a boot floppy and overwrites from 1 > 25 times as selected (but slowly!!!)

http://staff.washington.edu/idlarios/autoclave/clave03.img

david >

Try man shred

Shred is the linux utility for cleaning hard drives.
   Delete FILE(s) if --remove (-u) is specified.  The default is  not  to
       remove  the files because it is common to operate on device files like
       /dev/hda, and those files usually should not be removed.  When operat-
       ing on regular files, most people use the --remove option.

       CAUTION:  Note  that shred relies on a very important assumption: that
       the filesystem overwrites data in place.  This is the traditional  way
       to  do  things, but many modern filesystem designs do not satisfy this
       assumption.  The following are examples of filesystems on which  shred
       is not effective:

       * log-structured or journaled filesystems, such as those supplied with

              AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)

       * filesystems that write redundant data and  carry  on  even  if  some
       writes

              fail, such as RAID-based filesystems

       *  filesystems  that  make  snapshots, such as Network Appliance’s NFS
       server

       * filesystems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS

              version 3 clients

       * compressed filesystems

       In addition, file system backups and remote mirrors may contain copies
       of  the  file  that  cannot be removed, and that will allow a shredded
       file to be recovered later.

Autoclave uses Shred and I use ext3 filesystem and Autoclave wiped my disk but I didn't test the disk (WD 120GB) to see how it performed.

  david