Re: Multiple NIC's

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Phil wrote:

We have a dev network with 16 subnets. How we want to consolidate and
we are thinking of using the follwing nic's

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000mt_quad_server_adapter.htm

Now it supports kernel 2.6x.

Have anyone used this type of card? I wanted to know if there have
been some experience with this type of setup in this group.

Phil

I have tried to use five 4-port network cards in the same computer. It didn't work, But I was able to get 4 of the cards working by careful selection of irqs in the bois for each pci slot.

Then we decided to abandon the cards and use a 'port-based vlan'
http://www.zyxel.com/support/supportnote/ies1000/app/portbase.htm

so we can get 48 ports on the same computer. Use this instead:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FS750T.php

for $410

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/NETGEAR_FS750T/FS750TNA/D61946/froogle/

much better price point, but less bandwidth

ed