GRUB Error 15; File not found

I keep getting "Error 15 File not found" when trying to boot a new
install of FC3

I set this system up:
hda - Smoothwall (hd0 in BIOS)
hdc - FC3        (hd1 in BIOS)

On the FC3 I have installed grub to hdc1 with the root partition at
hdc3.  I change the boot disk order in the BIOS to move between FC3 and
Smoothwall.

Grub specifies the FC3 boot at (hd1,0) and if I boot with the rescue
disk, enter the grub menu I the available hd options are 0 and 1.  While
in the grub prompt and I CAT (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf it finds and outputs
the specified file. Comparing the grub.conf listed files to the files on
hd1,0 the file names are the same.

The device.map seems OK, (hd0) hda and (hd1) hdc.

Reading of the info file and some searches have not lead me to an
answer.

What could be causing the problem and how can I fix this?

Thanks
  Dave