Re: LVM question

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 23:21 +0200, Nitai @ ComputerOil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a huge problem, with that I installed on a 25GB Partiton WinXP
> and then run the FC3 installer. With disk Druid I made a partition for
> swap (2GB), one for /boot, one for /home (10GB) and another for /
> (10GB). So, this made up another 25GB of my HardDisk.
>
> Now the problem ist that I have a 80GB HardDisk and that I have another
> FreeSpace of 29GB which I somehow cant access anymore, because the Linux
> Installer made the /, swap and /home to a LVM Volume.
>
> Does anymore know how I can get the remaining 29GB back? Better would be
> to have them as Fat32 partitioned so I can access them with WinXP.
>
> df -h shows me:

> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00    9.7G  4.7G  4.5G  51% /
> /dev/hda2                                               99M   13M   82M
> 13% /boot
> none                                                       506M     0
> 506M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02   9.7G  238M  9.0G   3% /home
>
> vgdisplay:
>
>  --- Volume group ---
>   VG Name               VolGroup00
>   System ID
>   Format                lvm2
>   Metadata Areas        1
>   Metadata Sequence No  4
>   VG Access             read/write
>   VG Status             resizable
>   MAX LV                0
>   Cur LV                3
>   Open LV               3
>   Max PV                0
>   Cur PV                1
>   Act PV                1
>   VG Size               50.00 GB
>   PE Size               32.00 MB
>   Total PE              1600
>   Alloc PE / Size       688 / 21.50 GB
>   Free  PE / Size       912 / 28.50 GB
>   VG UUID               01CpwZ-IX2i-l55R-a4uF-ZYmG-VmSq-IbJmGR
>

> Any good ideas? Thank you.

The extra space is available in the volume group for expansion of any of
the volumes in that group. So you could easily expand your / or /home
volumes to be bigger. However, I don't know of any easy way to reduce
the size of your LVM partition so that you can use the space for a
regular partition that XP could use, at least not without reinstalling
or temporarily borrowing another hard disk to move the data on to.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>