Re: SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 12:43:50AM +1000, Kevin wrote:
> Geez, I forgot I was still in school, sorry teacher!

The rest of us are still in "school".

Apparently you have forgotten that life is the best teacher
and anyone who isn't continuously learning is already dead.
(or a politician ;) ).  Which one are you?

Here are the official rules for posting to the Fedora list:
http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~seabra/linux/FedoraRules.html

Despite the use of the word unofficial in their title, they have been
submitted to the RedHat Fedora Docs group and are now the official rules
for this list.

In summary they say say:
#1 Be polite (No "shouting" ie no ALLCAPS)
#2 Don't post in html
#3 Don't top post

and more.

Re: your problem with file permission:

Be a man. Suck it up. Even MS operating systems are (finally)
getting proper security features regarding file ownership and access
permissions. And its going to get much more complex than it is now very
soon as both Lin and Win platforms are beginning to use ACL's.

ACL's are much more flexible and, therefore necessarily much more
complex.

> would have understood that I DO NOT WANT file
> permissions, I don't care about them!
>
> I realise that is a blasphemous statement in the Linux
> community,

No, its simply very ignorant and universally recognized as such in all
mature computing platform environments, including windows.  Ask any
sysadmin.

>but the news is that some people DO NOT
> want it, understand?

Tough cookies.

> And thirdly, I'm not blaming the rules, and it's not a
> case of I can't handle permissions, rather that there
> is no simple option to drop the permissions (actually
> there is if you want to read constantly for 3 days
> without sleeping!).

File permissions are usually covered in about 15-20 minutes in any
introductory UNIX class (and frequently even less since any person with
a real computer since degree is already very familiar with the
concept).   What you want is "chmod -R 777 <root of mount>" and you will
get what you want.

> FAT32 partitions DO NOT USE permissions, that is one
> thing I like about them, however Fedora tries to force
> it's fascist regime on it and screws things up.

Mind boggling.  One of the most flexible computing platforms ever
implemented is "fascist". I hereby invoke Goodwin's law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

> One simple line in the main init file like:

More ignorance.  You need to stop relying on your past windows
experience and concepts.  They do not have a one to one mapping in the
UNIX environment.

> It would solve 2 problems:
>
> 1. It makes Linux boot in "Friendly Workstation" mode,
> no passwords, no UID GID crap, and no security (which
> a user can add later if he/she wishes). and..
>
> 2. It makes the Linux dweeb feel like they have
> something larger than a cocktail frank in their pants.
>
> I mean, aren't computers supposed to make life easier?

The kernel source (and all the other source) comes with your system.
Just code it up, build the new kernel and boot it.  No doubt your
version will become the most popular and widely used of any Linux
distribution.  Congratulations.

> How does wading through pages and pages of endless
> gobbledygook make life easier?  Sort of defeats the
> whole purpose if you ask me.
>
> And don't bother flaming me because I am unregistering
> from the list, removing Fedora from my computers, and
> moving to a more stable (non-perpetual beta) OS which
> gave me less headaches and stress.
and less functionality and less security and less reliability and more
money etc... ad nauseum.