Re: wot no rescue-mode grub?

T. Horsnell wrote:
I cant find a grub on any of my FCn install CDs when
I drop into rescue mode. Is this deliberate? Gloom...

Terry.

If you're only trying to reinstall GRUB (assuming it's already there), then you can do the following:

1. Get to the rescue mode
2. # chroot /mnt/sysimage
3. # grub

Assuming your boot partition is on (hd0,0)

4. > root (hd0,0)
5. > install (hd0,0)/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 p (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf // this is all in one line

6. > quit
7. # exit

This should restore your GRUB to MBR. Pay attention to the device specification though. You wouldn't wanna mess that up ..

At the GRUB> prompt if you type "root (" and then hit TAB twice it will give you a list of possible completions. Choose the one that is your boot partition. If you don't have a seperate boot partition it's under the root partition. In that case all paths should have boot appended to them; like "(hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage1".

Instead of the long "instal ..." command you could also use the simple "setup (hd0)" command script; but in my experience it does not restore the GRUB stage2 stuff ...

Have a look at:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/ref-guide/ch-grub.html

for more info on GRUB.

Cheers,