Re: SICK OF STUPID OWNERSHIP RULES!!

Richard Crawford wrote:

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 00:20, Kevin wrote:

I am so sick of these stupid bloody ownership rules!

All I want to do is share a FAT32 drive over the local
network and allow anyone to read/write it!

I don't care or want to know about GIDs and UIDs or
any IDs, just put the thing out there for everyone.

Man this is annoying.  And I don't have time to read
through pages of stupid blood man pages either!

HELP!

The price one pays for security and stability, though, is complexity. You can't get away from it. And man pages are your friends. And so is http://www.samba.org.

In my own setup, I have a directory full of music that both my wife and I have full access to. The section in smb.conf looks like this:

[our_music]
path = /path/to/music
force group = crawford
read only = No
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
guest ok = Yes
browseable = Yes

Mapping to this drive in Windows is a piece of cake. Mounting it in Linux is a bit more complicated. I have this line in my /etc/fstab file on my FC3 laptop:

//hagrid/path/to/music /home/richard/Music smbfs uid=500,gid=504,fmask=777,password="xxxxxxxx" 0 0

uid in this line is the uid of my account on Hagrid, and gid is the gid of the group "crawford". These values can be found by examining /etc/passwd and /etc/group on the host computer.

Of course, that's all assuming that the FAT32 filesystem you're trying to share lives on a Linux box. If it lives on a Windows computer, then I have no idea.

Hi All,

Kev, I've been where you are now. best advice I can give, is, 1. man's can sometimes be , well, too techy for a newb. Search for some tutorials instead. 2ndly, mate, sometimes, it's best to just walk away for a few hours/dys/weeks even, till you feel refreshed enuff to get stressed again..hehe..seriously, though, it's good advice, even if I say so myself. Also, there are great people in here who will help you. Good luck. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.