Re: [FC3] kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 freezes on boot

Slava Bizyayev wrote:
On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 06:11, Jim Cornette wrote:

Yuandan Zhang wrote:

Michael Hennebry wrote:

On 16 Apr 2005, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

I use kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP OmniBook XE2 pretty happily.
After updating kernel to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 I experience a strange
behavior -- in the end of the boot (instead of X-login screen) machine
freezes, and I cannot even get the terminal access with ctrl-alt-F1. Has
someone experienced something similar? What's the work around?

Hi, I got exactly the same problem. I upgaded kernel from kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 on my HP nx5000 to kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3, Boot freezed. I troed to boot to the old kernel kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3, it froze too.

If the kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 used to work and then stopped working after upgrading to the kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 version, using the original kernel might not be of much help. There is probably a problem related to something else that you installed along with the kernel update that is causing you problems.

In my case kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 is running just fine when I'm quick
enough to switch on boot...

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Slava

What you want to do is to comment out the hidemenu portion,change your timeout to a higher number, say 5 seconds. You also might want to change the default kernel to pointing at the later versioned kernel. The number sequence for booting starts at zero and each entry in line goes up to number one and so forth. I posted my config for reference. Note hidenmenu is commented out with a # sign. I only have one kernel, so I am set as default=0. If there was an entry below this boot entry, I would change default=1 for the second entry and so forth.

I guess you can uninstall the defunct kernel w/ the below as root and not mess with the grub.conf file, if it is no good for your computer.
rpm -e kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
should wipe out this kernel version and leave you with the working kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 and you can file a bug report regarding the new kernel not booting for your computer. The developers can guide you to useful information that they can track down the file with.

Good luck,

Jim

Example: only to show default, timeout and hiddenmenu options.
cat /etc/grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1240_FC4)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on 3
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4.img

--
We are the people our parents warned us about.