RE: NFS Mount Permission Denied

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 12:27 -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:

> perplexing

> > > hard,intr

> > fstab does not affect nfs.  Only mounting volumes.

> denied

> > > sure

> > > [Tim Holmes wrote]
> > > Good Morning Folks
> > >
> > > I tried the above suggestions, as far as the mount command syntax,
> and
> > > it still returns the same error --  here is the session transcript
> > >
> > > login as: root
> > > root@xxxxxxxxxxxx's password:
> > > Last login: Thu Apr 14 13:53:56 2005 from mod3teacher.mcaschool.net
> > > [root@SRVDB-01 root]# mount /home
> > > mount: srvfs-01:/home failed, reason given by server: Permission
> denied
> > > [root@SRVDB-01 root]#
> > >

> > > I hate to admit to confusion, but I am totally lost on this one.
> > >
> > > TIM
> >
> > NFS requires setup from both ends.  You said you edited the fstab on
> the
> > client, but did you do the server end?

snip
> > Since you say this is a new client setup, have you verified the server
> > is exporting the volume to that client?  If you edit /etc/exports you
> > will need to restart nfs on the server.
> >
> [Tim Holmes wrote]
> The /etc/exports does indeed have that type of line in it and is
> successfully exporting it to other clients.
>
> I have tried restarting the NFS services, and it makes no difference
>
> TIM

The permission denied message comes from the server, not the client.

You need to very carefully check what is different about the server
config and the client config on those who can and those who cannot
connect.  Something is different there.

Maybe if you posted the contents of /etc/exports from the server and the
IP addresses of the clients who can and cannot connect it may give us
enough information to see the differences.  The pertinent lines
from /etc/fstab on 2 of the different machines may be of value as well.

I know that often times a fresh set of eyes sees the problem that gets
overlooked by one used to seeing what is already there. We see what we
_expect_ to see, and it has happened to me.