Re: dhcp evils

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Craig White wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 12:44 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> > > ----
> > > cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> >
> > That gives me
> > NETWORKING=yes
> > HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
> > which to me is not informative.
> >
> > > you can edit there if you wish - probably have to '/sbin/service network
> > > restart' to get it to take though.
> > >
> > > My guess is that you named this machine when you did the original
> > > install.
> >
> > Assuming I did so (it was orange and it tasted like orange juice),
> > where would that information be stored?
> ----
> informative is a relative thing - one must also be able to comprehend
> what is meant by the answer.
>
> In this case, your computer thinks its' name is 'localhost.localdomain'

Actually my computer thinks its name is 'stmike'.
That is what hostname tells me.
If I give hostname arguments, it still gives me 'stmike'.

> of course, doing it this way, it is only temporarily setting it. To
> permanently set it, probably best to edit /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> If you had permanently set a different hostname at install time, it
> would have shown up there.

It didn't show up there.

I did a find from / to fgrep for stmike.
Except for files in /home/hennebry I got
/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases
/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure
/var/log/maillog
/var/log/cups/error_log
/var/log/gdm/:0.log
/var/log/gdm/:0.log.1
/var/log/gdm/:0.log.2
/var/log/gdm/:0.log.3
/var/log/cron
/var/log/boot.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
/var/spool/mail/root
/etc/printcap
/root/.xauthTq8ojp
/root/.bash_history
/root/.xauthpQFsSW

None of these seem like likely prospects.
Even running as root, I did get several permission denied messages.

--
Mike   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death