Re: Help Getting Root's email to recipient

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 13:08 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun April 17 2005 11:20 am, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> >
> > While I do not fully understand what you are doing there with the
> > script, I think you should spent some efforts to improve the script or
> > mechanism to not produce the amount of unwanted cronjob messages. Sound
> > like big nonsense to run a script every 5 minutes which produces a bunch
> > of error mail messages, then to forward them to a different account
> > where to silently delete them. Be friendly to your and your internet
> > partner (ISP et al.) resources.
> >

> My fault. Here, from the GotMail home page:
>
> "Gotmail is a perl script to download mail from hotmail.com without user
> interaction. It is probably best run from a cron job."
>
> That's what it is. It uses Posix and SendMail, apparently. It goes out to my
> hotmail account, gets the messages, forwards them to my regular email
> address. Here's a sample message that it generates each time it runs:
>
> Starting sendmail: [  OK  ]
> Starting sm-client: [  OK  ]
> Gotmail v0.8.2    Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Peter Hawkins
> Gotmail comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.
>
> Getting hotmail index page...
> Processing java check....
> Logging in...
> Following redirect...
> Going to Inbox Page: http://by21fd.bay21.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/HoTMail
> $folder_index_url->/cgi-bin/folders?
> Processing Folder: "Inbox", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
> Processing Folder: "Sent Messages", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
> Processing Folder: "Drafts", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
> Processing Folder: "Junk E-Mail", Total messages: 0, Unread messages: 0.
>
> All done!
> Shutting down sendmail: [  OK  ]
> Shutting down sm-client: [  OK  ]
>
> I don't see anything to tell me that these are 'errors' as you suggest. Am I
> missing something? I check this very often, because this happens to be an
> account that I use for extensive tech-support in my business, and I'm often
> in dialogue with someone, and on deadline, and prompt receipt of replies is
> important to me. If there's a way to 'silently' execute the cronjob without
> resultant messages, I'm all ears. This is the GotMail home page, if anyone is
> interested, though it appears to be broken today - none of the links seem to
> be working:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gotmail
> I could post the perl script, but it's rather long, so I'll hold off unless
> someone would like to see it.

I also use gotmail (I've packaged up RPMs for it at http://www.city-
fan.org/ftp/contrib/mail/) and I also run it from cron. Instead of
redirecting the output to the bit bucket (/dev/null), I redirect it into
a log file in my home directory:

$ crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.6180 installed on Wed Sep 22 14:41:47 2004)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp
$)
59   *  * * * date    >> $HOME/gotmail.log 2>&1
*/10 *  * * * gotmail >> $HOME/gotmail.log 2>&1

This runs gotmail every ten minutes and inserts a "date" tag into the
log file every hour. If mail stops turning up for some reason (e.g.
hotmail change their page format so that gotmail can't read it), I can
look at the log and get an idea of when that started happening. I'll
also see any other error reports that might appear if I scan through the
log from time to time, looking for anything unusual.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>