Re: Wireless sources?

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:40:21PM -0700, Don Russell wrote:
> Are there any wireless PC Cards (for laptops), preferably 54g cards that
> have Linux drivers? Everything I find refers to using Windows drivers
> with ndiswrapper or similar. I already have a Linksys WPC54g card I
> can't get working, so...
>
> I bought a Linksys WPC11 card because it has native Linux drivers for
> it. (I really want a 54g card, but at least the WPC11 card has Linux
> drivers from Linksys)
>
> HOWEVER, when I got the darn thing home and opened it, there was an
> explanation saying "The WPC11 Ver 4 card is a high performance wireless
> card and therefore would not work with Windows NT..." (and other stuff).
>
> (Well, I had to laugh at the wording.. but that's another story)
>
> Unfortunately the WPC11 Ver 4 does *not* have Linux drivers like the
> WPC11 ver 3 card.
>
> The good news is there was an addendum packaged with the card that
> explained the ver4 card could be exchanged for a ver3 card and all would
> be well.
>
> The phone number they gave was for "customer service"... but they knew
> NOTHING about being able to exchange the card and after many phone calls
> and many e-mails, I finally just returned the card to the store and got
> my money back. (I'd have exchanged it at the store, but the store only
> had ver 4 cards)
>
> Anyway...
>
> I'm really not up to installing the ndiswrapper stuff, and from I can
> tell that requires kernel source updates... I don't want to patch the
> kernel every time there's an update. Fedora has a very short release
> cycle, I don't want to be doing that sort of thing every few months.
> More frequently actually, because the kernel gets periodic updates
> between Fedora releases too.
>
> Also, I don't want to support the ndiswrapper concept... if I wanted to
> run Windows software, that's what I'd run.... and as long as the
> manufactures of these cards know their Windows drivers can  be used on
> Linux, why should they release Linux drivers?
>
> I encourage ndiswrapper users to contact the customer support people for
> their wireless cards card and ask about Linux drivers.... MAYBE if
> enough people ask, they'll do it.

Cards using the Ralink rt2500 chipset should be able to work with native
open source linux drivers. See http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com.

I'm using an ASUS WL107G using this chip and the serialmonley driver.
Drivers are still under heavy development but I managed to get it working
with 128 bit WEP. However WPA seems to crash my Fedora setup (rawhide).

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112