Re: Shell Scropts

Mark Sargent wrote:

Michael A. Peters wrote:

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 11:09 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

John, to execute a file, you need to give it the right permissions.

Correct

Do this from the command prompt, 'chmod +x filename' minus the quotes from within the directory the file is in.

Correct

You must be su'd in as root to do this.

Incorrect. You only need to have ownership of the file, which he does if
he downloaded the file as his normal user.

Hi All,

yep, you got me there..damn, I was on a roll with that(I thought-lol)...cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Hi All,

a little curious about this now. If a user downloads a bin or script file that is coded to attack a system, and the local user can set execution, the executed file won't damage the system due to it not being a root file, yes..? Have I got that correct..? Hope so. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.