Re: Update Service

Dave Mitchell wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:31:04PM -0700, Scott Becker wrote:

If yum is not the default, how do I set it up? If I'm already using yum and 9kb/s is typical then I long for the days or old rhn where I can pay $60/year to get an update service which can feed updates at 100kb/s.

IIRC, up2date out of the box doesn't try mirrors, so you just get the extremely slow RH servers.

The easiest way to set up yum is to install the sample yum.conf
mentioned in the FAQ:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

save as /etc/yum.conf, then run

   # yum update

you'll probably find it a lot faster.

It's using a different mirror on each attempt. I finally got it completed. Now I'm trying to download a src rpm using 'up2date --get-source postgresql' and I get either a file not found or an apparent success but an empty file. I could probably get the file if I can shut off the mirroring (assuming the mirrors don't bother to mirror src-rpms) and go to the rh server.

my yum.conf contains:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

It looks like I can modify the files an /etc/yum.repos.d to make it use rh instead of the mirrors. I'll try that and put it back later. Would anybody else be interested in a paid update service? Is there a list of people selling CDs? This should be on fedora.redhat.com for fedora to be used more (and tested better).

   scottb