Re: Anyone have the Nvidia driver working in 2.6.11-1.14_FC3?

Marc Schwartz wrote:

Neal Wilkinson wrote:

Ok...here we go.
I have version NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run installed and running
in the 770 kernel. I've tried to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run in 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and the following
happens.

I end the session and go to a console login.
login as root
cd /home/neal (where the file is)
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run
message that the same version is installed, would I like to remove it
and install again. I answer yes.
then says it must download a kernel interface and says no matching one
was found
then it builds the kernel module and says its done
then it uninstalls the driver and re-installs it
then says its done please go update xorg.conf etc. if needed
then when I reboot I get an error when it should load the driver which
says nvidia.ko not found and it loads a generic driver.

Does this help? Thanks!

Neal

Sorry for jumping in a bit late here, but all initial steps sound proper and the last problem sounds like the udev issue which has been referenced previously.

Review the steps on this page:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

Scroll down to the nVidia section towards the bottom of the page and
follow the two steps there. That should solve the re-boot problem. I
don't remember, but you may have to redo the nVidia installer one last
time after the above steps.

Then the only other time you would need to redo the nVidia installer is
if you boot a new/different kernel.

I have the 7174 driver (using the nVidia installer) running just fine
with the latest 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 kernel.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

I have the current udev installed so it should be ok, right?

Installed Packages
Name   : udev
Arch   : i386
Version: 039
Release: 10.FC3.7
Size   : 1.3 M
Repo   : installed

reference to nvidia on that page look like in relation to an older version. Thanks.