Re: [FC3] Weird problems dual-booting with XP

Dan Buthusiem wrote:

I think it has something to do with the way the OSes use the outer
edge of the harddrive. It's not supposed to contain any formatting,
but OSes and some viruses use that part of the disk, anyway. If you
boot back and forth between the different OSes, they overwrite
eachother's data stored within that space and it makes the computer
hiccup during bootup. When you do a hard reboot, XP already has had
the chance to overwrite the Linux data.

I don't have a clue how to fix it. I'm still in school learning how
everything works. At least you have an explaination as to what's going
on. I've heard it could make the drive fail, but my teacher still
speaks of installing Windows 98 and FAT16 formatting. lol

This situation sounds similar to mine.

My HDD, which was working quite well prior to FC3, suddenly began reporting errors. XP wanted to scan on startup. FC3 and LVM would repeatedly tell me that i had errors on my XP partition. All attempts to repair them failed. Eventually the smartd daemon began to suggest i back up.

I replaced the Hard disk and out of curiousity used it on another system for a while where i installed FC1 only.

Worked quite well for a while.

Good luck