Re: Confused : MAKEDEV

rpm -On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 13:24 -0600, lin q wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am trying to build a minimal Linux from source code. I am not following
> Linux From Scratch as my purpose is not to have a fully functional build,
> just for educational purpose.  So I am following "Build a Mimimal Linux
> System from Source Code' which is recommended in LFS document.
>
>   One of the 1st steps is to  run MAKEDEV. My machine has Fedora Core 1
> installed, so I got to FC1 download site and get MAKEDEV-3.3.8 source code
> package, and now the questions are;
>
>   1) From what I see MAKEDEV version seems the latest is 1.7, on some site I
> do see 2.x, but I never see version 3. Then where does this version 3.3.8
> come from? Is it a special version from RedHat?
>
>   2) After unzip the package I see the files are like this,
>         <root>
>                   COPYING       MAKEDEV.spec  genataraid    genida
>                   MAKEDEV.c     Makefile      gencciss      makedev.d
>                   MAKEDEV.m     devices.txt   gendac960     mksock.c
>          <root>/makedev.d
>                   00macros      ia64          linux-2.2.x   raid
> std_s390
>                   cdrom         ibcs          linux-2.4.x   redhat
> undocumented
>                   console       ide           linux1394     s390
> usb
>                   ftape         ipfilter      mouse         sound
> v4l
>                   generic       isdn          qic           std
>
>        I can not see README file detailing how I should build/install. I
> take a look at the Makefile, it seems I should do the followinf steps:
>
>        export DESTDIR=/mnt/mybld
>         make
>         make install

Most of the information you are looking for is probably in the src.rpm
that you unpacked; specifically, in the spec file. There you should find
where the source code came from, possibly a URL, and also the sequence
of instructions used to build the binary RPM (see the %prep, %build and
%install sections).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>