Configuring GTK+2 non-GNOME applications

I googled for this but couldn't find an answer: I use a couple of GTK2
non-GNOME applications, CVS Emacs (from Jens Petersen's yum repository)
and VMware Workstation 5. While GNOME applications can be configured
from Applications -> Preferences -> Menus & Toolbars to not have
detachable menus and toolbars I cannot figure out how to set the same
for ordinary GTK2 applications. I'm assuming that something needs to go
in some file like ~/.gtk2rc or something, but I don't know what or
where. Does anyone know?

I keep accidentally detaching menus and its really annoying!

TIA, Darren

P.S. I first came across detachable menus and toolbars with NeXTstep,
and I really liked the feature. Somehow they implemented it better. I
think because so many widgets were shared between applications, like a
font selector, or a colour selector, etc, it just seemed to work better.
But with most GNOME and GTK2 applications detaching a menu or a toolbar
more often than not seems to be a nuisance rather than a benefit.

D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com